- Not Specified
+ The original author did not specify a license.
Data produced under the ADRF Sub Saharan Africa Risk Profiles project. The project provides also risk data produced,
exposure and hazard data used in the analyses.
- Publication Date
- Oct. 17, 2018, 11:18 a.m.
- Raster Data
- GeoSAFE , Exposure
- characteristics of society and cultures. Examples: settlements, anthropology, archaeology, education, traditional beliefs, manners and customs, demographic data, recreational areas and activities, social impact assessments, crime and justice, census information
- Africa , East Africa , Mozambique , Global
- Data Quality
- Description of dataset: Population counts in 2010 and 2050 based on WorldPop raster surfaces and SSP2 population estimates. Population counts were extrapolated based on growth rates for the period 2010-2050 from IPCC SSP2 data downscaled to Gridded Population of the World, version 3 (GPWv3) data. WorldPop data, adjusted to match the World Bank country boundaries, were used as the base population surface in the extrapolation. Description of Assumptions: Growth rates were calculated using a standard demographic approach (logarithmic growth). The population data have been checked for self-consistency; the visual of the future surface are consistent with the population growth data and the population total of the adjusted data match the World Bank population to within a person. Limitations: Extrapolation of the WorldPop data gives a false impression of detailed spatial distribution in the future estimates. Population growth patterns will vary, possibly significantly, in distribution. Artifacts introduced by the downscaling are primarily related to edge effects, showing rectilinear patterns in the dataThe rates calculated based on the downscaled SSP2 data do not model urban expansion; therefore densely populated areas have increased in population in the 2050 surface more than is likely to occur and urban areas have not expanded into the periphery. The WorldPop data have population allocated in some cells that have no population according to the census data used in GPWv3; these populations have been redistributed proportionally across the remainder of the grid cells in the 2050 surface.
- Supplemental Information
This dataset aimed to support the strengthening of INGC capacity to leverage geospatial data and technology for
disaster risk management, particularly cont...
- Spatial Representation Type
- grid data is used to represent geographic data